WHAT IS A SATELLITE CLUB?
A Satellite Club is an extension of a community sports club established in a new school or college. It targets the 11-25 age group and aims to attract a new audience to the community club. Satellite clubs are run by established sports clubs who bring their expertise and enthusiasm to local places where young people already meet.
Satellite clubs help to create a link between school sport and community sport, encouraging a gradual transition from taking part in irregular afterschool activities to becoming an active community club member.
HOW IS A SATELLITE CLUB CREATED?
Identifying local needs determines the requirement for a satellite club as well as the type of sport.
To develop a high quality, sustainable satellite club network, we are working closely with schools to identify a fundamental need/demand for a specific sport, and in turn aim to match the demand with a supply from a local community club.
BENEFITS OF A SATELLITE CLUB
- Increasing club membership.
- Increasing access to local facilities.
- Potential to recruit new volunteers, leaders and coaches.
- Higher profile in your community - great for attracting partners and funding.
- Increasing your club's talent pool.
For Host sites:
- Creating new links with community clubs and increasing access to a range of new partners.
- Raising your profile in the community.
- Maximising the use of facilities.
- Creating new avenues for young leaders to develop.
- Offering new sports or opportunities to students and the local community.
If you are interested in developing a satellite club or want to find out more please get in contact with Georgi Babalev (Sport and Active Recreation Assistant) at Georgi.Babalev@Charnwood.gov.uk or 01509 632 536.