More information about the scheme
Our referral period is 12 weeks, during which you will have the opportunity to speak with our team on a one-to-one basis to improve both your fitness and general well-being.
You will be monitored during this period, and the resultant statistics taken will be referred back to your GP at the end of the 12 week period.
All exercise sessions are offered:
- Under the guidance of qualified exercise professionals
- At a convenient venues within the local community
- At a specially reduced rate
Am I eligible?
Anyone who is 16 years of age or over who is currently inactive can join the Active Lifestyle Exercise referral scheme. You can also join if you have:
- Risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease (e.g. family history, smoking, overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure)
- Risk factors for Osteoporosis (e.g. family history, history of diet lacking in Vitamin D or calcium or menopause)
- Controlled Asthma
- Mild to moderate rheumatoid or osteoarthritis
- Mild to moderate stress, depression or anxiety
- Obesity issues
- High cholesterol
- Controlled diabetes
- Mild to moderate depression, stress or anxiety
- Controlled respiratory disease
- Back pain
- Locomotive and neurological disorders
Unfortunately, due to safety reasons we cannot accept people who have:
- Heart disease, previous heart attack or other event, or heart surgery
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Uncontrolled hypertension, or very high blood pressure
- Severe Asthma
- Chronic muscle, joint or bone conditions
How can I join?
To join the scheme you need to visit your GP, a Practice Nurse or another Health Care Professional. You can also be referred to us if you are undergoing a Fit4work review.
If you are eligible and the scheme is considered appropriate the health professional will complete a referral form for you, which will be sent our Active Lifestyle Development Officer.
You can be referred to join our walks programme (in which case your health professional must specify that they are referring to the walk programme), to one of our Leisure Centres, or to a community venue within Charnwood